Saturday, August 15, 2009

Erin Go Bragh....Ireland Forever!

It is an almost indescribable, beautiful country. I had the opportunity to spend a few short days in Ireland for work. The weather was beautiful and I had some time to take in some sights briefly. Here is the original St. Patrick's Cathedral.



I stayed at a really nice hotel in the heart of Dublin city center. They were very excited to tell me that they have a beautiful suite named Michael Collins after the Irish patriot. I assumed that they would put me in that suite. I assumed wrong. Stupid honeymooners.



Sweet Molly Malone!!

In Dublin's fair city, where the girls are so pretty,
I first set my eyes on sweet Molly Malone,
As she wheeled her wheel-barrow,
Through streets broad and narrow,
Crying, "Cockles and mussels , alive, alive, oh!"

Pity such a 'healthy' looking woman should die so.



Even a short stay in Ireland would be incomplete without a tour of some booze. The Jameson tour looked good, but the Guinness tour was great. Really set up well, great customer experience. Here I am pouring my own 'perfect pint' that I was then able to enjoy. Thank you Guinness.



I enjoyed my Guinness with my new random friends wearing a shirt from Lawrence, Kansas. But unlike the German at the British Museum, these two were actually Lawrencians!! And spoke American. Great to meet them.



I also really like the gift shops along Grafton street. It was cool to see things with Aidan's name on them so commonly. But it was also very cool to see all of the other names that are common to Ireland. Oddly enough, these were all great names that Betty suggested when picking out baby names. Too late to change now, I think??

I also found it fascinating to see the translation of the names. Sean is the Gaelic equivalent of John. Seamus translates James. Pretty cool.



All in all, Ireland was great and I will definitely return. I only saw a very, very small part of just the capital city, so I know for certain that there is much, much more to see.

1 comment:

  1. fantastic. it was good to see you again.how in the world did you run into a couple from lawrence?

    ReplyDelete


Visitor Map