Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Amsterdam Sans Kids!

The weekend Michael and I were waiting for finally came and what a weekend it was. While my mom and sister were back in Windsor with the kids, Michael and I set off for an adults only weekend in Europe's version of Las Vegas, the adult playground of Amsterdam. It is a beautiful city full of bicycles, canals, museums, shopping, weed (aka coffeeshops), the red light district, backpackers and mostly foreigners. We arrived late Friday night got a bite to eat and went to bed so we could see the sights in the morning.

We took a boat tour along the canals which is a great and relaxing way to see the city while we drank Heineken.


Do we look like a nice couple without kids. At least we look well rested.
Then we did a little street shopping because you never know when you might need a gas mask or a captains hat. It was a very mix matched assortment of mostly crap.

We happened across this toy store several times and I am very upset I never bought a Monchichi. Did anyone else have one when they were little? I loved mine and it has disappeared somewhere in my parents house. (If anyone wants to make my day and they see one, get me one!!!)
OK, I will let you in on my "Blond moment" while in Amsterdam. As we were walking around, many of the alley ways had red lights and I wondered why. That was letting you know you were entering...The Red Light District. I really should have known.

We saw the infamous Banana Bar. If you don't know what that is you can look it up yourself. We did not go, just so you know.


Ben, when you are done in LA, your next job is already set up for you in Amsterdam, but then you would have to live in Amsterdam.

The next day was the best. We had no plans and in true Douglas style we rented bikes for the whole day and just rode around. The whole city is laid out with bike lanes so it is easy to get around. We only took out the map for a point of reference but then just went. If a street looked good we went. We saw a lot of the city and it was really great. That is the way to see Amsterdam.


Having fun on the no frills bike.

And when Michael is done in the U.S. he can go to Amsterdam with Ben.
For all the OPFD boys, here is a picture of their firestation. (And no matter what Trevor says, there is NOT a party at our house!) And that is 10 bays in a row, how is that for a station?
Here is a game of "Where's Betty?"

"Where's Michael?"


On our first morning there, we came across this Croissant store and Michael got the best sandwich in the world, so he wanted to go back and get another. We went later that same day: closed. The next morning: closed, the next afternoon: closed, the day after: closed. So he only got it that one time and had much frustration with not getting it again.
Here we are being very European and eating dinner at 10:30 at night. Notice it is still a little light out!

When we were in the Red Light District at night we noticed this vending machine place where you can get almost anything. I think I have seen something like this in Asia, maybe in pictures from Jed? Don't know, but a great place for drunk college students to get food late night.

And finally, here are a couple of pictures of the bicycles outside of the train station. We loved all of the bikes and all of the kids on different carriers on the front of bikes and back of bikes. If only the US could have something like it so we could ride easier in the bigger cities! Look closely, that is three levels of bikes and this is just one of the many places at the train station to leave your bike. There were literally thousands of bikes.
How do you find YOUR bike in the mangle of metal?

On a final note, we were in Amsterdam from Friday night until Monday night. We went on the boat ride, rented bikes, saw Anne Frank's house, saw the Van Gogh museum. We smelled a lot of funky smells coming from the "coffeehouses" (not going to say one way or another if I went into said coffeehouse but I will say this; give me a nice bottle of wine, good food and good company and I am very happy). At around 2:00 on Monday we were done. We went to the airport and sat there until our 7:00 flight. I think you just need to be there for 2-3 short days and that is it. It can be a little overwhelming and it is very crowded. I can now check it off my list of places to go and I never have to go again. We did have a good time and it was nice without the kids so I am very grateful to my mom and Mary.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Visitor Map